[Equest-users] SIMERGY - Who's using it, or considering?

Greg Garcia ggarcia at etcgrp.com
Tue Oct 8 10:27:39 PDT 2013

Fellow eQUEST Modelers,

Is anyone considering or currently using SIMERGY?  I'm curios in hearing from anyone who is thinking about or has already began using SIMERGY.  What has been your source of interest in SIMERGY and how well has it integrated it into your process?  Although I've not personally used SIMERGY, after watching the video tutorials, I'm intrigued with SIMERGY's ability to do the following;

*         Radiant HVAC Systems

*         Custom HVAC Loops and controls

*         Comfort Calculations

My Thoughts on eQUEST and SIMERGY:
I've been using eQUEST on a daily basis for almost 5 years.  Our work consists of simulating commercial buildings and industrial processes to help identify and prioritize efficiency options for clients.  We also model for LEED, Code Compliance, and Utility Rebate Programs.  Our process relies heavily upon eQUEST's parametric run feature and common input file.  We perform dozens of simulation runs on a given project.  We also use custom MS Excel macros to extract key data from simulation outputs which we use for validation, analysis, and presentation.  Seems like eQUEST is a great tool for many system types, but falls short on others. When it comes to radiant systems, custom HVAC controls, and non-standard loop configurations, eQUEST falls down (in my opinion:)).   I also wonder if eQUEST has reached its limit with regards to features and capabilities, or do the developers have  big plans to update the software.

Kind Regards,

Gregory F. Garcia
Energy Engineer, P.E.
ETC Group, LLC