[Equest-users] Error with eQuest refrigeration model (suction groups)

William Hillsinger william.hillsinger at energysquaredeng.com
Wed Oct 9 14:00:38 PDT 2013

Hello,

I am modeling a supermarket with multiple MT and LT refrigerating systems in 3.61-refrig and running into an issue. I am getting the following output warning for 4 of my LT suction groups, and 1 MT suction group. Each suction group in this store is associated with its own compressor/rack (i.e. there are no split suction groups). The first warning is for a MT group, the other is for a LT group.

**CAUTION**********************************************************************
             Suction-group: RTU-8 Suction Group              has a suction
             temperature higher than required by the worst case load.
             Loads may float. Peak occurrance: 3/ 7/18
             Suction T/Required T:  18.43  17.49

             Suction-group: RTU-7 Suction-Group              has a suction
             temperature higher than required by the worst case load.
             Loads may float. Peak occurrance:11/18/19
             Suction T/Required T: -20.22 -52.34

For the RTU7 group, my Design Suction T is -20*F, Fixed Temp Setpoint is -25*F and Throttle is 10*F. The only reach-in fixture associated with this group has a Supply Setpoint, Rated Supply T and Design Supply T all of -11*F. I set the coil capacity of the fixture to default (blank), thinking that eQuest would auto-size the capacity high enough to drop the required Suction T (this worked for the MT suction group/fixture). Unfortunately that had little/no effect on the LT group/fixture.

Based on the warning, I get the impression that eQuest is accounting for a massive refrigeration load.

Thank you for any help you can provide,

Will