[Equest-users] building shades

John Aulbach jra_sac at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 3 08:28:54 PDT 2013

Hi Christian:

I am somewhat confused to what you mean "unresponsive." And when you say "building shade", I assume you do not simply mean an eyebrow over the window.

I have personally not played much with shading, unless there is a 60 story building across the street. If that building were, say, in a Southerly direction, I would expect to see a reduction in peak cooling load. But there are so many other mitigating factors (internal load, transmission load, type of HVAC system (escpecially with reheat), and building operation) that I am not sure what movement in energy you are expecting.

Can you share your file and intent with us? I may have an opening to at least see what you may be experiencing. I seriouslu doubt the weather file is at fault (unless for a very obscure location).

John R. Aulbach, PE