[Equest-users] Ground temperatures

Joe Huang yjhuang at whiteboxtechnologies.com
Thu Oct 24 12:15:23 PDT 2013

In my opinion, the easiest way to get the ground temperatures would not be through DOE-2
Hourly Reports, although I'm sure that can be done, but by reading them from the weather
file using the WTHFMT2 utility program that converts the file from binary to text.  There
are just 12 numbers for monthly ground temperatures, shown on line 2 of the *.FMT files.
By the way, I think that DOE-2 does some smoothing or interpolation of the monthly ground
temperatures; right now if you look at the hourly heat transfer through Underground walls
or floors, you'll see a wierd staircase effect with the same load for a whole month, and
then a jump to a different load the next month, etc.

Joe

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.
346 Rheem Blvd., Suite 108D