[Equest-users] Models for energy audits

Steven Savich ssavich at systemswestengineers.com
Wed Sep 11 08:39:50 PDT 2013

Ian,

Equest thermal inputs use the convention of Mbtu = million btus, while
common usage in the US is still generally Roman numerals with btus:  mbtu =
thousand btus, mmbtu = million btus.  You should be entering 2.603 Mbtu for
the boiler capacity in equest.

However, I'd recommend looking at load hours not met in the BEPS report
before and after entering that value.  If the usage is going up when you
enter the 2603 Mbtu value, that may mean something else is going on.  Do
teachers and staff report problems maintaining temperature in the winter, or
does the boiler spend a lot of time in winter running?  Is it possible the
existing boiler is undersized, or is there something else going on?

For the elementary gas consumption, it looks like you have a pilotless
domestic water heater set up in the model.  Are you sure that there's no
pilot on the domestic water heater or the boiler?  Do they completely shut
the boiler off during the summer?

How is the domestic hot water recirc pump controlled?  If it does not have a
timeclock or temperature control to shut it off when there's no system
demand, it may be causing the domestic water heater to cycle more frequently
during the summer when there's no load, especially if the HW & HWR piping is
not adequately insulated.  If this is the case, you can do a side
calculation to estimate the HW & HWR piping UA and enter that in the
domestic water loop as a SUPPLY-UA to get a closer match in your baseline.

Thanks,

Steven