[Equest-users] Semiheated envelope constructions

Keith Swartz kswartz at ecw.org
Fri Sep 20 09:27:17 PDT 2013

Ryan,

Yes, the layered approach is better. It takes into account the thermal lag while the straight U-value method does not. If your energy model is for LEED, then you have to use the layered approach.

To hit a target assembly U-value I include an insulation layer and find the thickness that gives the target U-value. eQUEST displays the overall R-value, which is the reciprocal of the U-value. The overall R-value that eQUEST calculates does not include the exterior film coefficient. The film coefficient is calculated for each hour based on the wind speed from the weather file and the surface roughness. So start with your target U-value, take the reciprocal to get the target R-value, subtract the film coefficient R-value (See 2013 ASHRAE Fundamentals, Chapter 26, Table 10.), then play with the thickness of the insulation layer in eQUEST to get that adjusted R-value.

Keith Swartz, PE, BEMP, LEED AP
Senior Energy Engineer | Energy Center of Wisconsin | Madison.Chicago.Minneapolis
608.210.7123 | www.ecw.org<http://www.ecw.org/>