[Equest-users] District Energy Scenario

Hall, Brendan BHall at karpinskieng.com
Tue Apr 29 07:45:34 PDT 2014

I'm interested in what people think is the right way to treat this scenario for LEED/Appendix G, I could see it going either way :

Climate zone 5a, District Cooling plant, using option 1 (stand alone bldg), but the central cooling plant shuts down between Nov 1 and Mar 1. For the baseline, do I :

a)      Use a district chilled water meter all year.

b)      Use a district chilled water meter all year, but match the proposed sequence and shut down during the winter

c)       Shut down in the winter, but provide the non-DES cooling system for that period.

I'm leaning towards A, since the economizer should handle almost all the loads, but there is the part in App G where they talk about heating and cooling must be available in the building.

Bonus:
For the IT loads, there are WSHPs on a drycooler loop, since CHW is not available year round. Do I use:

a)      District chilled water all year,

b)      Shut down chilled water in the winter, but provide the non-DES cooling system for that period.

Leaning towards B on this one. Seems more "fair" since there is a significant cooling load year round but the primary cooling source (CHW) is not available year round. I see it similar to the schedules that differ for more than 40 hours per week exception.

The kicker is that because they are IT units, their performance on a glycol loops is less than stellar compared to the air cooled baseline system.

Let me know you think.

Brendan Hall,  PE, LEED AP BD+C
Engineer, Mechanical
karpinski
ENGINEERING
3135 Euclid Avenue
Cleveland, OH  44115
P  216.391.3700<tel:216.391.3700> Ext 3111
E  bhall at karpinskieng.com<mailto:bhall at karpinskieng.com>
W www.karpinskieng.com<http://www.karpinskieng.com/>