[Equest-users] Gross vs. Conditioned Square Footage

Bishop, Bill bbishop at pathfinder-ea.com
Wed Aug 13 06:50:57 PDT 2014

David makes a good point about elevator shafts being conditioned spaces. Per the space definition in 90.1, an indirectly conditioned space is considered conditioned. It doesn’t have to be served by an HVAC system, or heated or cooled. It just needs to be “enclosed” and have greater heat transfer to the interior of the building than to the exterior, based on wall area and U-factor. I generally interpret this as meaning that everything within the building envelope is conditioned space, except crawlspaces, attics and parking garages (per the definition for unconditioned space), and non-heated/cooled spaces along the exterior of the building that have insulated interior walls (like unheated storage and garages). Indirectly conditioned spaces are easy to model in eQUEST. Just define the space/zone as “conditioned” but don’t assign thermostat schedules, and zero out the air flow.
I don’t see an allowance for interior wall thickness in 90.1, so I think that should be included in “total conditioned floor area” as well. There is no definition for floor area, net in 90.1, only floor area, gross.

Regards,
Bill
[two_cents_0.jpg]

William Bishop, PE, BEMP, BEAP, CEM, LEED AP | Pathfinder Engineers & Architects LLP
Senior Energy Engineer

[ASHRAE Certified logo - greenshot 2]  [cid:image004.jpg at 01CFB6DC.13D5E900]

134 South Fitzhugh Street                 Rochester, NY 14608

T: (585) 698-1956                        F: (585) 325-6005

bbishop at pathfinder-ea.com<mailto:wbishop at pathfinder-ea.com>             www.pathfinder-ea.com<http://www.pathfinder-ea.com/>

[earth for signature]Sustainability – the forest AND the trees.