[Equest-users] Equest

Jeff Haberl jhaberl at tamu.edu
Mon Dec 15 06:51:18 PST 2014

Hello Amir.

Learning a simulation program such as DOE-2 or EQUEST takes time. I don't think you'll master it by watching a video.

EQUEST has a useful GUI that makes it easy to produce your first successful run. However, unless you understand how the program was put together and the logic behind the questions you can make fundamental errors about what you think is being simulated that  can lead to big trouble. Both DOE2.1e and EQUEST come with example files that show how to use every command in the program, and user's manuals. In the old days, one would learn the program by taking the example files and studying them, editing, running, etc.

Training classes and seminars are also available from IBPSA-USA from time to time, as well selected universities, colleges and consultants.

My experience teaching simulation for 30+ years has taught me that someone can learn the GUI pretty quickly by one's self and simulate a standard building with lots of defaults. However, doing more than this on a new building needs instruction in a one on one classroom situation. Learning the BDL takes at least one semester. Mastering it takes 5 to 10 years. No one simulation program simulates everything accurately for all building types (i.e., thermal, daylighting, solar thermal, solar PV, passive solar, air flow, etc)

Progress is being made on robot-codes that convert BIM to BES, but some user input is almost always required. Other simplified programs exist with limited options that are much easier to use, but these still need some instruction.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Jeff S. Haberl, Ph.D., P.E.inactive, FASHRAE, FIBPSA
Department of Architecture
Texas A&M University
College Station, Texas 77845-3581
Office: 979-845-6507, Lab: 979-845-6065