[Equest-users] Why Water Source Heat Pump is not considered as Renewable Energy in LEED rating system?

YangMo anneaj at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 29 19:14:56 PST 2014

Hi all,

This question is not about eQUEST, but since in this group a lot of people are working for LEED consultant projects, I think it is a good place to ask this question. I have been working in U.S. for a lot of years and just came back to China recently. In China ground source heat pump and water source heat pump systems are very very popular, and they are considered as renewable energy, since they use free heat from the soil and water. But in LEED rating system, heat pump is not considered as renewable energy. Why? Is it because those system has side effect to the environment?

Thanks!
Mo Yang