[Equest-users] Variable Kitchen Exhaust, Ecology, Make-UP Fans Modeling

Wahid Hamed wahid.hamed at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 03:08:50 PST 2014

* Sorry for the cross posting!

Dear eQuester,

I am modeling a Main hotel kitchen in eQuest, the kitchen is conditioned
with a dedicated AHU including a percentage of outdoor air (input at
outdoor air zone level) within the AHU.

The kitchen equipment hoods are being served with exhaust, ecology, and
make-up fans are working *on-demand bases as variable speed fans*. I have
modeled the kitchen hoods exhaust/make-up fans as following:

- Divided the sum of all exhaust/make-up fans power to the exhaust
airflow *only
*to get (kW/CFM) and input the exhaust airflow and kW/CFM at kitchen zone
level.
- I set the Tracking Ctrl to "*No Airflow Tracking*"
- I set the Exhaust Fan Ctrl to "*Fan-EIR-FPLR*"
- I set the Exhaust Source to "*Balanced Infiltration*", will
be independently controlled and balanced out of AHU.
- I set the Fan Flow Schedule to operate 24-hrs as it ON/OFF schedule!.

I want to know how eQuest will control the fan speed (variably) and fan
power accordingly, is "Fan-EIR-FPLR" control and
its corresponding "Variable Speed Drive FPLR" curve will translate the fan
power according to the "Fan Flow Schedule" operation?

Is there edit shall I do in the Fan flow schedule? It can be a fraction
schedule interlocking to the occupancy schedule?

I would appreciate any suggestion on the above modeling input in such
Variable Kitchen Exhaust case.

[image: Inline image 1]

Regards,

Wahid H. Mohamed, LEED AP BD+C
Mechanical Project Engineer, Energy Modeler