[Equest-users] Free cooling Chiller on eQuest

Sebastian Carrizo juan.carrizo at alumni.carleton.ca
Thu Feb 6 07:31:19 PST 2014

Thats exactly the product I'm trying to model! I figured that the largest
savings would come from properly including free cooling in the system, but
I will ask the manufacturer to provide performance data so I can input the
curve manually.

Thanks for all the help,

Sebastian

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 10:21 AM, Neil Bulger <nbulger at integralgroup.com>wrote:

> Sebastian,
>
> A very interesting device you are trying to model! I assume it looks
> something like this:
>
> http://www.motivaircorp.com/products/air-cooled-chillers/free-cooling-chillers.html
>
> In looking at the diagram and spec, I think their air cooled chiller acts
> most like a non integrated waterside economizer. The free cooling either
> does everything or it does nothing.
>
> I would advise
>
>    1.  setting up 1 CHW loop with an Air cooled chiller and the WSE
>    chiller object.
>    2. The WSE chiller should autosize to whatever the air cooled chiller
>    is. For safety, I might just put in the size manually.
>    3. Create a CW loop and tower to attach to the WSE chiller
>    4. Set the tower to be a closed tower, so water does not evaporate and
>    it acts just like the air cooled condenser coil of your product
>    5. Manually size the cooling tower
>    6. Set the CW loop to size based on the Secondary equipment. The loop
>    defaults to the primary equipment, which in this case is our WSE chiller
>    which might crash or not size. By selecting secondary, the loop will now
>    look at the cooling tower and determine it's size
>    7. Use the CHW plant manager and sequence the chillers so the WSE
>    chiller always goes first. It may not be able to provide cooling if it is
>    to hot outside but it will always try to and succeed when weather permits.
>
> The other thing I would recommend is getting the chiller curves right. The
> product I found says they have a buffer tank for refrigerant to help
> balance out demand and smooth out compressor performance. I bet this is
> doing a lot more for efficiency than the WSE is and should be included.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Neil
>
> *Neil Bulger, PE* | Energy Modeling Team Manager
>
> *Integral Group *| 427 13th Street | Oakland CA USA 94612
> T 510.663.2070 x235
> c 707.363.3954
>
> integralgroup.com <http://www.integralgroup.com/> |
> nbulger at integralgroup.com
>
>  *Trust* | *Nurture* | *Inspire*

> On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 7:10 AM, <bfountain at greensim.com> wrote:
>
>> You cannot set that with range and approach. eQUEST calculates if the
>> tower can carry the loop load for each timestep and if it can, the WSE is
>> used. Otherwise the chiller is engaged.
>> Brian Fountain
>> bfountain at greensim.com

*Juan Sebastian Carrizo*
M.Eng Sustainable Energy | B.Eng Industrial Engineering

(c) 647-225-2243 | juan.carrizo at alumni.carleton.ca