[Equest-users] Weather File

Joe Huang yjhuang at whiteboxtechnologies.com
Thu Feb 6 19:31:56 PST 2014

Are you trying to create a new weather file from raw data?  DOE-2 (the simulation engine
in eQUEST) comes with a doewth Fortran program for processing or "packing" raw weather
data into the binary format needed by DOE-2 (I don't know if doewth is shipped with eQUEST
or carries a different name).

If your source data is in a format recognized by the DOE-2 weather packer, which
unfortunately dates back 20+ years,  the "packing" process is pretty straightforward.
However, if your source data is not in one of the recognized formats, you will have to add
Fortran code to the OTHER subroutine to tell doewth how to read the raw data.

Full documentation of this procedure can be found in an old article, "DOE-2 Weather
Processor", by Fred Buhl in the Spring 1999 edition of the Building Energy Simulation User
News that used to be published by LBNL.  LBNL has removed all User News articles from
their Web site, but the User News could still be found
http://web.archive.org/web/20100831112251/http://gundog.lbl.gov/

I'm all in support of people who want to learn this process, but in my 30+ years of
working with DOE-2, I've only encountered a handful of people who've made it through.

Good luck and best wishes,

Joe

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.
346 Rheem Blvd., Suite 108D
Moraga CA 94556
yjhuang at whiteboxtechnologies.com
http://weather.whiteboxtechnologies.com for simulation-ready weather data
(o) (925)388-0265
(c) (510)928-2683

On 2/6/2014 1:08 PM, John Day wrote:

> I am a new user and I am having trouble creating a weather file and try to do a test
> file once I installed program.  What do I need to do?
>
> Yours sincerely,
>
> _____________________
>
> *John Day*
>
> Spare Parts Coordinator
>
> Phone:  864-941-5021
>
> Fax:  864-941-5000
>
> Internal:  515021
>
> _john.day at velux.com_
>
> *VELUX America Inc.*
>
> PO Box 5001 1418 Evans Pond Road
>
> Greenwood, SC 29648-5001
>
> www.veluxusa.com <http://www.veluxusa.com/>
>
> Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail!

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are considered confidential and intended