[Equest-users] Composition of weather file data

Joe Huang yjhuang at whiteboxtechnologies.com
Sat Feb 8 09:42:04 PST 2014

There are basically two types of weather files -  "typical year" or
actual year.  An actual year weather file is simply the weather data for
that year of record. A "typical year" is typically composed of months
from different years selected as the most typical or representative for
that month.  "Typical year" weather files should be created from at
least 8 years of data on up to 30 years. People used to regard longer
periods of record as more desirable, but this may not always be true
taking into account regional or global climate change.

There is plenty of documentation on the creation of "typical year"
weather file sets, such as the TMYX files developed by NREL, IWECX files
by ASHRAE, etc., that can be found on the Web. There's no right or wrong
about whether a "typical year" or actual year file is more proper.
"Typical year" files are generally used when you don't know the actual
year, like for a compliance calculation for building energy standards or
a building yet to be built.  Actual year files should be used if the
intent is to compare the simulation to actual building energy use data.

Expanding on what David said below, *.BIN weather files used by
eQUEST/DOE-2 do not identify the year on each line of data. If the EPW
file you're looking at shows only 1990,  it could be EITHER a historical
year file from 1990 OR a "typical year" file converted from an original
*.BIN file.

Joe