[Equest-users] HVAC system definition

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Mon Feb 10 15:29:08 PST 2014

Vladimir/Frantisek:

I haven't done a 2-pipe system in eQuest for some time, but to my recollection the actual "Fan Coil" (FC) system is pretty limited in that you can model a ventilation component (and preheat), but not a central fan or pre-cooling.  It's very much a self-contained system.

Here's a stab toying around with a  dummy model:

2-pipe fan coil systems are not an option in the wizards, but I believe you can start by selecting 4-pipe fan coils there, then changing the associated hydronic loops /assignments to be a 2-pipe loop (pay careful mind to the 2-pipe loop operation inputs):
[cid:image003.png at 01CF2684.951ABDD0]
>From there, I think you could approximate the system you're describing by switching your airside systems to Induction Unit:
[cid:image004.png at 01CF2685.51D93910]

With this setup, you'll likely need to make adjustments to your terminal units (as defined at the zones) to behave like your actual fancoil units with respect to fan control and so forth.... But a quick simulation of what I just threw together per the above screengrabs simulates without substantial unmet hours or errors.

Hope that helps you both move forward!

~Nick

[cid:489575314 at 22072009-0ABB]

NICK CATON, P.E.