[Equest-users] Baseboard Heating Out of Control?

Bishop, Bill bbishop at pathfinder-ea.com
Wed Jan 29 06:01:26 PST 2014

Bryan,
Modeling the radiant panels as baseboards is a good approach. Since you are calibrating the model for an existing building, I suggest manually entering the baseboard heating capacity zone-by-zone based on the installed radiant panel capacity, and manually entering the RTU heating capacities and flowrates. If you can't get the design/installed values, pay close attention to the DOE-2 help description for the default autosizing of BASEBOARD-RATING. Be sure to enter a "0" capacity in zones that have no radiant panels. eQUEST will prioritize the baseboard heating when you use a BASEBOARD-CTRL of THERMOSTATIC. The panels are often controlled by OA temperature, in which case you need to specify the BASEBOARD-SCH at the system level and use OUTDOOR RESET for the zonal BASEBOARD-CTRL. Since you are proposing a heating energy ECM, it is important to know how the radiant panels are controlled - you may consider changing the controls as part of the ECM to put more of the load on the heat pumps. Some other things that could throw off your RTU heating vs. radiant panel heating are 1.) ventilation rates, 2.) thermostat setpoints and setback, 3.) lighting/equipment/occupant loads and schedules and 4.) inaccurate modeling of the envelope.

Regards,
Bill

William Bishop, PE, BEMP, BEAP, LEED AP | Pathfinder Engineers & Architects LLP
Senior Energy Engineer

[webCertified_logo_colorRGB72DPI.jpg]

134 South Fitzhugh Street                 Rochester, NY 14608

T: (585) 698-1956                        F: (585) 325-6005

bbishop at pathfinder-ea.com<mailto:wbishop at pathfinder-ea.com>             www.pathfinder-ea.com<http://www.pathfinder-ea.com/>

[earth for signature]Sustainability - the forest AND the trees.