[Equest-users] Question regarding "U-EFFECTIVE" value

Joe Huang yjhuang at whiteboxtechnologies.com
Sun Jul 20 18:19:34 PDT 2014

Chris,

Your intuition is correct, but your equation is incorrect.  The idea of
an "U-EFFECTIVE" is to modify (generally reduce) the conductivity of an
underground surface from what it would be based on the input material
properties. Since the compliance requirements for foundations are given
in F-factors, which are conductivities per foot of exposed perimeter,
you should set the U-EFFECTIVE to produce the same total conductance, i.e.,

      U-EFFECTIVE x (Area of Underground Surface) = F-Factor x (Length
of exposed perimeter)

Thus, in your example, the total conductance is 21.97/h-F, and the
U-EFFECTIVE will be 21.97/(Area of the underground surface).

There is another technical detail that I need to mention, though. Back
in the early 1990's, FSEC pointed out that using the U-EFFECTIVE
produced an inconsistency in the Weighting Factor, so that a significant
amount of the heat flow into the space was being lost.  In response,
Fred Winklemann and I (we were both at LBNL at that time) have
recommended against using U-EFFECTIVE, but rather to add a fictitious
resistance layer to the outside of the underground surface so that its
conductivity equals the U-EFFECTIVE. This was all written up in an old
DOE-2 User News article, but I don't have the link handy.  I also don't
know whether the U-EFFECTIVE in eQUEST is the same as in DOE-2.1E, or
has automated the procedure described in the Winklemann article.

Joe

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.
346 Rheem Blvd., Suite 108D