[Equest-users] space renaming

Singhal, Harshul HSinghal at ThorntonTomasetti.com
Mon Jul 28 07:50:28 PDT 2014

I also feel 476 spaces are way too much. I can understand that some projects have different floor plates & plans and it can end up resulting more number of zones. But trust me the more number of zones, more complicated it gets. I did one project with almost 150 zones (multi family high rise building) and later when I moved to detailed mode  it was a pain to make changes for spaces/zones.

I would suggest rather creating separate zones for same user type spaces facing same façade, you can combine them as one single zone each floor. For corner rooms/spaces, create separate spaces. Try to keep it under 100 atleast.

Harshul Singhal
Project Consultant
Thornton Tomasetti
386 Fore Street, Suite 401
Portland, ME  04101
T 207.245.6060  F 207.245.6061
D 207.245.6074
HSinghal at ThorntonTomasetti.com
www.ThorntonTomasetti.com
From: Equest-users [mailto:equest-users-bounces at lists.onebuilding.org] On Behalf Of Jeff Haberl
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2014 9:09 AM
To: wafik adbelkarim
Cc: equest-users at lists.onebuilding.org
Subject: Re: [Equest-users] space renaming

Hello Wafik.

One question you might ask is why you have 476 spaces in EQUEST?

Normally, a space is needed only if that zone has a unique load, usage, external exposure or HVAC system. Otherwise, it is more common to use a simplified zoning. For example, 5 zones are normally used for a rectangular building of more than 50 ft in depth. At most, for a multistory building, three floors can be used, one for the top floor, one for the middle floors, and one for the ground floor.

Hence, you might consider reducing the number of zones before proceeding.

Jeff

Jeff S. Haberl, Ph.D., P.E.inactive, FASHRAE, FIBPSA
Department of Architecture
Texas A&M University
College Station, Texas 77845-3581
Office: 979-845-6507, Lab: 979-845-6065