[Equest-users] Error - Wall is too thick or too dense

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Tue Jul 29 07:09:15 PDT 2014

Hi Prasad,

Reducing your air gap would make the overall wall construction more dense... so if that eliminates the error message, then the error must be rooted in your wall construction exceeding some maximum thickness.  I have run into this on much thicker constructions before involving large amounts of concrete, but 1.2 ft seems within a range of constructions I've successfully modeled without such errors as well.

Are you leveraging custom (not library) wall materials and/or have you modified any of the library material density entries, specifically?  If so, I'd double check your inputs/units, but if that's not the issue, I would suggest reducing thickness of your concrete layer to a point that the "maximum construction thickness error" does not occur, and increasing its material density per unit depth (thickness) in turn to achieve the same net mass for that construction layer.

[cid:489575314 at 22072009-0ABB]

NICK CATON, P.E.
SENIOR ENGINEER

Smith & Boucher Engineers