[Equest-users] Baseline case fan power

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Mon Mar 3 08:40:20 PST 2014

Hi Elena,

As you've asserted, the inputs for fan power and the monthly/annual end-use outputs corresponding to building maximum coincident meter draws are fundamentally different.

I've repeatedly (albeit not consistently) run into similar commentary between my LEED reviewers.  Keep in mind the reviewer does not necessarily understand nuances of eQuest/DOE2 inputs/reports which you do: what makes common sense for reporting the results may swing other directions for those unfamiliar with eQuest.  I'm sure the same type of commentary is encountered by others with reviewers familiar with eQuest and not their modeling software of choice.

I would typically respond with a brief but clear explanation for why the two figures do not represent the same thing, and so should not be expected to match up.  You should cite and attach for reference the output reports and baseline calculations sourcing each figure.

Recognize where the reviewer is coming from, and bring them up to speed.  This will be a gut call for you, but consider furnishing additional documentation (assuming a skeptical reviewer) to demonstrate your inputs (via screenshots) indeed match the construction documents, and the results correspond as expected to your inputs.

To speculate, there might be "range" of differences between various EAc1/EAp2 values triggering  a reviewer to raise a flag (either by personal decision or per their instruction/training), but I expect it has more to do with your individual reviewer's familiarity with eQuest/DOE2 (or lack thereof).

~Nick
[cid:489575314 at 22072009-0ABB]

NICK CATON, P.E.
SENIOR ENGINEER