[Equest-users] LEED Increased Ventilation Credit and Energy Modeling

Joseph Lewis jlewis at fortierengineering.com
Thu Mar 6 13:48:10 PST 2014

You are going to follow 90.1 Appendix G for the model.  This means both the baseline and proposed design outdoor air flow rates will need to be the same except if you are using demand control ventilation in the proposed and it is not required by 90.1 section 6.

In the case where you have demand controlled ventilation in the proposed and it is not required in the baseline then the USGBC has stated that they would like the baseline to be modeled as compliant with 62.1 without the system level corrections.  There also should not be any temperature difference corrections because the other appendix G rules require your CFM sizing to be based up on a 20 °F delta T.

If demand controlled ventilation is required by 90.1 then it must be modeled in the baseline and proposed with the same design flow.

I personally take credit on my models for where the proposed VAV system has controls to maintain a constant OA flow across from design to minimum supply, by modeling the baseline as just proportional.  I have not been flagged for it, but I also have not found any definitive ruling that what I am doing is allowed.

Joe Lewis
Fortier Engineering