[Equest-users] eQUEST v3.65 build 7163 released Mar 18 2014

Charles Hoes charles_hoes at hoes-eng.com
Sat Mar 29 09:42:20 PDT 2014

Sketchup is still "free." (At least the version that I am using is.)
They now call it Sketchup Make and there is a free and a fee version. As
an frontend to OpenStudio/EnergyPlus the free version is just fine.  All
you really need (or want) to do is run the EnergyPlus plugin.  In fact,
if you get fancy and attempt to save your file as a sketchup file you
will run into lots of terrible problems.

A hint, if you intend to try OpenStudio/EnergyPlus for a spin using the
Sketchup interface, DO NOT open, save or do anything else with the
Sketchup "File" menus for those actions.  The OS plugin has buttons that
take care of those functions.  I spent weeks building models that would
look great and work, only to have them "explode" and fly into disjointed
pieces at unexpected times.  That happened because I thought that the
Sketchup file management tools worked - they don't.  Since I weaned
myself off of accidentally using the "File" drop-down menu that problem
went away.  It was a hard habit to get away from since we are so used to
using those Windows menu items for "Save", "Open", "Save As" etc.

Another hint has to do with the way that the Sketchup plugin and
OpenStudio share files.  They both use the same file  (*.osm) which is
neat because they are always identical.  However, they don't always
update the file before switching back and forth between the programs.
If you have both programs open at the same time (and you will do this)
you need to remember to save the file before switching, and then to open
the file again once in the other application.  The reason is that the
applications (OpenStudio for example) don't actually use that file when
running, they use a temporary files.  If you don't manually open the
newly changed file from Sketchup OS will use that temporary file rather
then the newly modified one.  The programmers included a built in a
pop-up window to prompt for this when going from OS to Sketchup, but not
the other way around.  You can use the OS button in Sketchup Plugin to
launch the OS application, but if you already have OS open it creates
another version.  Pretty soon you end up with lots of versions open -
not a good thing.

Good luck with OS.  I find it to be powerful and useful, but extremely
difficult to use because of a lack of descriptions of the various
fields.  Unlike eQuest, the field names just sit there and dare you to
figure out what they might be asking for - there are lots of information
hidden away in the voluminous manuals and things - all written for use
in the "native" EP+ front end.  You are left to guess at what might be
appropriate in the OpenStudio application and plugin.  Another problem
for me is their plethora of default values for lots of things that are
named in ways that don't make any sense to me (they are just references
to various sections of a bunch of standards).  I finally gave up using
those and made my own constructions and things that I know about.  I
just deleted all of their defaults and started from scratch.  It worked
much better for me that way.

It is an interesting tool, but very much still a research project.

Charlie