[Equest-users] Modelling multilayer thick wall in eQUEST

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Mon May 12 07:57:37 PDT 2014

I haven't run into this error myself, but I have the loose understanding that eQuest begins having trouble when constructions are in excess of ~3feet.

Very thick concrete constructions have come up on the lists before - I would put forward that if you have many feet of heavy-weight concrete (thermally massive), under many circumstances your construction is approaching the performance of an adiabatic construction, moreso if this envelope is underground.  Another way of putting this is net heat transfer may be negligible.  Additional details/context regarding what's happening thermally on both sides of the envelope might help others in the list chime in with support/disagreement on this front.

That said, if you just want to get around the thickness limitation, you might be able to define a layer for your thick concrete using a custom (theoretical/impossible) material to represent say 6ft of concrete pressed into a 1ft thickness (applying a 6x factor to all the per-foot material properties).  Haven't tried this myself but it's a thought.

~Nick

[cid:489575314 at 22072009-0ABB]

NICK CATON, P.E.
SENIOR ENGINEER