[Equest-users] HVAC Zone Group Definitions Resetting in EEM

David Dang daviddang27 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 13:05:04 PDT 2014

Morning everyone,

This is my first post to this listserve and I am a new ME graduate just
getting into the basics of eQuest so bare with me if I happen to make any
technical or language errors.

I have just finished modeling a commercial high-rise building and it seemed
most appropriate to use as little building shells as possible (I read
somewhere to stick with 8 before eQuest begins spitting out errors). Here
are the basic rundowns of the building.

Underground parking: I have the underground parking floors as 1 shell
(unconditioned but assigned to the main HVAC system). The building calls
for an exhaust fan to this space so I used the exhaust fan prompt of screen
14 to assign the CFM load.

Ground Floor: Assigned as a single shell as it serves as a retail space.

2nd Floor: Assigned as an unconditioned, windowless floor as it is on a
separate HVAC system and energy bill so it is of no concern to this study.

3rd Floor: Single shell, commercial space.

4th Floor: Single shell, the floor has a data center on a portion of the
floor. I have assigned two separate core zones (one is served by central
HVAC system and the data center has its own HVAC system in screen 14).

5th Floor - 8th: Single shell, commercial space.

9th Floor: Another room with a data center. See 4th floor but with its own
separate HVAC system again.

10th Floor - XXst: Single shell, commercial space.

Penthouse: Mech penthouse floor, unconditioned.

After determining the baseline conditions, I have started applying energy
efficiency measures. One EEM was to seperate the retail space on the 1st
floor from the central HVAC system. When going through the EEM screen
(using whole site/building run), I am creating a new HVAC system and
assigning it to the 1st floor and then adjusting the hours of the central
system as it no longer needs to run as long. As soon as I leave the EEM and
run the simulation, eQuest crashes. Upon opening the model again, I notice
the changes were not saved in the EEM, so I change the inputs again and
then save the model. Run model, another crash. I open the model again and
the inputs are still not saved (they've reverted back to the baseline
inputs). I make the changes again and return to the EEM screen, I go into
the EEM Run Details again and the changes are still not saved. I have
rebuilt the entire model from the ground up already and the same error
occurs with this EEM. Has anyone run into this issue before and have found
a solution? Or have any ideas on how to correct this. I am only going
through the DD Wizard as I do not know how to navigate through the DDedit.

Thanks all. Hope the weekend has been nice to everyone so far.

David Dang
BS Mechanical Engineering 2014 | Portland State University