[Equest-users] Low Heating Consumption

Bishop, Bill bbishop at pathfinder-ea.com
Fri Oct 24 08:11:31 PDT 2014

Dan,
I suspect your heating and cooling energy would both increase if your zones weren't so simple. Your current model doesn't have any high-load zones, so the simulation can keep zone and air handler air flow to a minimum year-round. (I'm guessing on this - I didn't run a custom report to verify.) More zone diversity would require more air flow, so more cooling, and more reheat. Also, I know you said airflow was calculated by the design team, but based on SV-A numbers, you have 0.44 and 0.57 cfm/ft2 for the two air handlers, which works out to 2.6 and 3.4 ACH, while the ASHRAE Pocket Guide shows general design conditions for offices are minimum .75 cfm/ft2 and 4 air changes per hour. Perhaps someone else with VAV system design experience can chime in? If these numbers have worked for your design team before, it would be good to know for updating our rules-of-thumb.
Regards,
Bill

William Bishop, PE, BEMP, BEAP, CEM, LEED AP | Pathfinder Engineers & Architects LLP
Senior Energy Engineer

[cid:image002.jpg at 01CFEF7B.42CF4710]  [cid:image004.jpg at 01CFEF7B.42CF4710]

134 South Fitzhugh Street                 Rochester, NY 14608

T: (585) 698-1956                        F: (585) 325-6005

bbishop at pathfinder-ea.com<mailto:wbishop at pathfinder-ea.com>             www.pathfinder-ea.com<http://www.pathfinder-ea.com/>

[http://png-5.findicons.com/files/icons/977/rrze/720/globe.png]Carbon Fee and Dividend - simple, effective, and market-based.