[Equest-users] Curved Building Shape

Chris Baker CBaker at cci-alliance.com
Sun Sep 7 14:29:42 PDT 2014

It is acceptable to approximate in equest.  You could determine the overall internal volume of each shell within the structure (areas of the building with varying heights or different exterior wall construction) and model the building in equest as needed so each shell matches that overall volume (with flat surfaces).

Modeling in equest like you are describing is almost impossible and I don’t think I’ve seen it before.

To give you an example, I recently modeled a building with 5 different building shells and 5 different roof structures.

The building shell outlines match the CAD drawing exactly.  For roof construction type, I kept it as it was constructed in reality.

But for the internal volume, I ran some calculations in Autocad to determine the height of a flat roof for each shell – In other words, the internal volume of each shell also matches with reality, along with lid and plenum heights.

I hope that makes sense.  LOL

I didn’t feel it necessary to model each roof exactly.  But it is important to note overhangs (which can also be calculated if need be).

I checked with folks here in the forums to make sure all this was OK and was given the thumbs up.  In fact it is normal practice, as long as all the important parts of the system are accounted for – insulation, buildups, skylights (if they apply), etc..  However I think most would say the shell properties is important but not as important as the energy usage elsewhere (air-side HVAC, water-side HVAC, etc..).

A LEED reviewer isn’t going to deny a LEED cert because the roof isn’t modeled to exact dimensions, is what I’m saying.

It’s OK to improvise.  Especially if it cuts your workload in half and if you are confident the end-result numbers will be close.

-Chris