[Equest-users] Exhaust fans in appartment

Julien Marrec julien.marrec at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 04:14:19 PST 2015

Hi again,

After implementing zonal exhaust, I'm still in a bit of a pickle.
For those familiar with it, I'm actually modeling a building per the ENERGY
STAR MultiFamily High-Rise Simulation Guidelines, slightly modified because
it may go for NYSERDA Multifamily Performance Program (MPP). MPP New
Construction, in its v6 version, has a different calculator that the MFHR
one for infiltration, and you have to model infiltration and local exhaust
separately.
Anyway, the calculator is telling me to put:
- 0.08 ACH in the space with hourly fraction at 0.5 (so 0.04 ACH...): it's
doing some kind of calculation to come up with 0.04 CFM/sqft of exterior
above grade surfaces (roof + ext walls)) that leads to the 0.08 ACH figure.
- Model the exhaust as about 40 CFM per apartment with a fraction of always
1.

I don't know why, but this seems fairly low to me (0.38 ACH would seems
about right for a fairly tight building when you consider that
building-wide, but here I'm only entering it for the apartments right now).
What do you think?

Ultimately, I have one major problem: the heating consumption reported is
abnormally low. I've been banging my head since yesterday trying to figure
out why. I think I've ruled out pretty much everything (but I'm confident
that missing something is possible) aside from this ventilation thing.

If I add (or increase) Zonal exhaust to a zone:
- The attached system sizing doesn't seem to change
- but suddenly I'm getting unmet heating hours...
- And I do have *some* more consumption
*This make me think eQuest somehow doesn't really take zonal exhaust into
account when autosizing *(but does for consumption)*. Do you have the same
experience with it? Any workaround to avoid this problem?*

Finally, I think I'm in dire need of a pair of experienced yet fresh
eyes... I'd be extremely grateful if someone was willing to take a look at
my model. Ping me and I'll send you the file, and hopefully return the
favor soon.

Thanks a bunch,
Julien

--