[Equest-users] Questions about utility rates

Chris Baker CBaker at cci-alliance.com
Wed Jul 8 13:04:23 PDT 2015

I was able to get this resolved.

For electricity I got an actual number from the client.

Fuel oil pricing for Alaska was more complicated and I'm hoping this info helps others in the future...

For starters, there is an army database called AEWRS that can be used to get energy info for army installations but to access it you need a CAC card and it is inaccessible to civilians.
Thanks to Bert Ward for finding this!

I've been told the numbers on this database are very generic and not specific to any one Army installation - which might not be helpful depending on what you're looking for.

http://army-energy.hqda.pentagon.mil/reporting/aewrs.asp

EIA apparently has very little cost data for Alaska because it is excluded from EIA's 'SHOPP' survey for heating fuels.
If you open the EIA "winter heating fuels" you see that Alaska has "no cost data" available.
http://www.eia.gov/special/heatingfuels/

But EIA does popup with some links to other sources of data.

One is the "Alaska Energy Data Gateway" - which has community specific energy data and even some data for military installations.
https://akenergygateway.alaska.edu/

There is also an Alaska community database which has energy data specific to certain cities/towns/villages in the state.
http://commerce.state.ak.us/cra/DCRAExternal/

I'm assuming since EIA doesn't have average heating fuel data, these links provided by EIA would be sufficient for estimating unit cost.

But ASHRAE isn't clear whether or not EIA has to be the source of the utility pricing in cases where the pricing is tracked by organisations other than EIA.
I've decided to move forward for now using this data and I'll address it should the need arise during review.

Maybe ASHRAE could even use some rewording to address this in the future?  That's an entirely different topic, however.

Based on what I'm seeing Alaska isn't the only state excluded from EIA's heating fuel surveys.
So I would assume these other states would also have programs to track heating fuel cost data at the state level.

Chris Baker
CCI CAD Drafter