[Equest-users] Interior Walls show up as Exterior Walls

Nicholas Caton ncaton at catonenergy.com
Mon Jul 20 11:13:06 PDT 2015

Further to Jeff’s suggestions:  if you determine it is not necessary to
simulate interior walls AT ALL between the shells (and this is a totally
valid conclusion for many situations), you could very simply proceed with a
plan to, as soon as you are done with wizard-level edits, delete the
resulting “sandwiched” exterior surfaces from the component tree, first
thing.  No walls defined is the exact same effect in the simulation as
defining one or more adiabatic walls, excepting there will also no longer
be any thermal mass to retain heat between the hours as would occur with a
layered adiabatic construction.

On the aside & from a teaching perspective, that’s the first time I’ve come
across the resistor / resistor+capacitor analogy to describe surface type
behavior – I like it!

As to zoning resolution, I like to think of this issue as striking a
balance of being *intelligent* enough to define the minimum # of zones as
you will need, and *wise* enough to combine zones to the extent it won’t
make a difference.  In practice, my comfort margin for zoning
simplifications shrinks the earlier simulations are engaged to inform
design.  For my earliest schematic/planning phase explorations, I find
myself weighing whether to start with a high-resolution model (which will
have the flexibility to carry forward with any number of necessary system
types and zonal distinctions), or else to plan for a single or series of
quickly generated basic/simplified models which I’ll be comfortable
ditching when it comes time to develop a higher resolution, “whole-picture”
study.  Where I land on that call depends and varies by building, by the
team of designers you’re working with, by gaging how much thought/effort
the design team places before design development, and of course by the time
I have available to provide the best set of guidance/answers.

Related food for thought:

-          For projects requiring detailed documentation later, it’s also
worth considering a minute saved during simulations in design (by combining
similar zones) may require ten minutes when it comes time to document and
explain how the various inputs correctly add up for a multi-zonal system.

-          It may also be helpful to recognize that with experience, your
time-efficiency for defining geometries in eQuest (or any program) will be
honed.  At some point, the extra time required to define twice as many
zones as the minimum may not be a big deal in the scheme of things.

~Nick

*NICK CATON, P.E.*
*Owner*

*Caton Energy Consulting*