[Equest-users] Modelling Heated Windows in eQuest

Nicholas Caton ncaton at catonenergy.com
Thu Jul 30 11:57:59 PDT 2015

Further to that approach:  there exists an option under switchable glazing
to toggle glass properties via OA temperature.

I personally remain unconvinced of the science/marketing behind the
“effective” overall U-value brought about by a reflective film.  On a
conceptual level, I understand how taping aluminum foil to the outside of a
normal pane of glass, or replacing your glazing with a mirror, would help
bounce back radiative heat losses.  I remain skeptical of the notion this
can be equated to an overall effect on the *conductive* heat gains/losses
through a typical window.

As always, use your best judgement – your simulation outputs are only as
strong as your inputs!

~Nick

*NICK CATON, P.E.*
*Owner*