[Equest-users] Excessive PVAV cooling in proposed

Chris Baker CBaker at cci-alliance.com
Tue Jun 30 13:03:55 PDT 2015

How I resolved this was I followed direction of a couple really helpful folks on the boards that contacted me via email.

I first set all my cooling controls to “warmest” with 70 F max reset.

This cut space cooling but the main cause of excessive cooling in winter was my kitchen zone.
The kitchen range hood was exhausting 2500 CFM on a schedule (not operating on weekdays and only 4-5 hours on weekends and holidays).

But the OSA was set to 900 CFM – Plus, Supply air was set to 2600 CFM with no min flow schedule.
So it was basically a 2600 cfm design flow for 330 square foot kitchen.

To address this I just set a min flow schedule (frac/design sched)  that corresponded with the kitchen hood schedule.

Anytime the hood is on, the makeup air is 2600 CFM (or 1.0 frac/design)
Anytime the hood is off, the supply air is about 154 CFM or so. (or .059 frac/design)

I updated both models to show the same exhaust flow, schedule, and I modified the OSA in the space to correspond with this schedule (ensuring OSA was the same in both models).

So the cause wasn’t really excessive cooling it was excessive heating in winter with this insane 2600 cfm design flow – causing the space to intermittently call for cooling, then heating, etc…

These updates cut my heating energy by 400 MBTU and my electric usage for space cooling went down by 4,000 KWH or so!

Awesome!

-ChriS