[Equest-users] Question regarding Air Side fan power inputs

Jones, Christopher cjones at halsall.com
Wed Mar 4 05:15:06 PST 2015

Hi Chris,
The baseline system type determines if the minimum flow ratio is to be specified.  For Baseline Systems 5 and 7, the minimum flow rate is 0.4 cfm/ft2.  For Systems 6 and 8, the minimum fan powered box flow is to be 30% of the peak design flow.  All other Baseline systems have a minimum flow ratio of 1.

Thermostats in the Baseline case are proportional.  For the Proposed design model you would only use reverse action thermostats if that is what the design is.  A reverse action thermostat is used for VAV boxes where the heating maximum flow is greater than the minimum flow.  For example, in full cooling mode the VAV box is fully open.  As the cooling load drops, the VAV box starts closing until it reaches the specified minimum. If heating is called for, the box starts to open again up to the heating maximum flow.  This is explained in the DOE22Vol2_Dictionary manual, page 472 under THERMOSTAT-TYPE.

The fan power for the Proposed case must be set to realize the fan power shown in the Mechanical Schedules for each air handler (or on the shop drawings).  You can set this using Static and Efficiency or kW/cfm which ever works best.  For the Baseline fan power, you have to follow Appendix G3.1.2.9.  And yes, you will often have different fan power in the Proposed and Baseline models.  (I am assuming you are following Appendix G and not Section 11 of 90.1).

Christopher Jones, P.Eng.