[Equest-users] How detailed is necessary

Chris Baker CBaker at cci-alliance.com
Thu Mar 5 22:10:47 PST 2015

I do agree with nick on this.  But if you are for example modeling in equest with perimeter core zoning then you can't exactly allocate an entire thermal zone to one end use type.
The result by space type could end up being off by a drastic amount in the final end use reports compared to actual real world space allocation and energy usage.

This is one example where equest inputs may differ from actual design in an effort to make the energy model as accurate (and easy) as possible.

How I did it was this... Each zone gets allocated 33% for this, 10% for that based on the overall building total percentages.  That way the final end use reports cannot falter.

  Personally I think the software is limiting in this regard where you are basically forced to model in unorthodox ways to reflect design drawings and data in accordance with x, y, and z.

For example, perimeter core is one of the easiest ways to model thermal blocks.

But has anyone ever seen hvac or heating designed with perimeter core approach?  I haven't and I used to work in hvac.

But you can look at the software as making it easier in a sense.  It does work both ways.

In Energy modeling its easy to get bogged down on one item too.
And sometimes that one little item can end up doubling the amount of work.

-Chris in alaska

Sent from Outlook<http://taps.io/outlookmobile>