[Hap-users] Simulating an exhaust fan to cool a transformer room

Matthew Scott MScott at nefisher.com
Wed Aug 14 07:39:28 PDT 2013

Thanks all for your suggestions

Matt Scott

N.E. Fisher & Associates, Inc.

329 East Second St, 2nd Flr

Boyertown, PA 19512

e: mscott at nefisher.com

p: 610-369-3190

f: 610-369-3194

From: Joe Fleming [mailto:joe at thespinnakergroupinc.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 5:46 PM
To: Matthew Scott; hap-users at lists.onebuilding.org
Subject: RE: [Hap-users] Simulating an exhaust fan to cool a transformer
room

Hi Matthew,

I have not been 100% successful in doing this through a system.

Instead I do the following;

*        Set up a space with the proper load components from the
transformer and building skin and then give it an infiltration rate that
is equal to the airflow of my exhaust fan.

*        Then that space gets assigned to a system with no cooling or
heating.

*        From there obtain a design report for the Hourly Zone Loads for
the space.  This gives a temp at every hour for each month, 288 total
temps.

*        Scan this for any hours where the temperature is below the EF
to T-stat design set-point by some range.

*        Any hours that are below this set-point by a certain "range"
get multiplied by the number of days in that month and subtracted from
8760 hours.

*        For the "range" mentioned above I remove the infiltration load
from the space and re-run the design report for the Hourly Zone Loads.
The temperature difference between the OA Temp and Zone Temp of this new
run, with no infiltration, is my allowable "range".  If Zone Temp is
105F and OA temp is 80F  then my range is 35F.  So any hours in the
first run, (the run with infiltration), 35F below my desired set-point
are assumed to not need fan operation.

*        Remember to schedule the transformer load properly otherwise
all hours will be hot.

*        At the end there will be some number of hours less than 8760
that gets multiplied by the fan bhp and added to the Building Misc.
Energy tab of the Building Properties.

That's the best I have come up with.  Hopefully it helps!

Regards

Joe Fleming  |  PE, LEED AP BD+C, BEMP

Commissioning Agent / Energy Modeler | The Spinnaker Group

561.602.3132 | joe at thespinnakergroupinc.com