[Trace-users] LEED of make believe.

Eurek, John S NWO John.S.Eurek at usace.army.mil
Tue Apr 6 13:40:02 PDT 2010

I have a few stairwells and vestibules which will be served by radiant
heaters with no cooling. Hot water supplied by the boiler.

So, now I need to make up a pretend cooling system.  (This what I did for the
actual building not the baseline)

Here is how I did it.  (Is this valid?)

I selected a Single Zone System (which will end up matching my baseline
according to Appendix G system type).

Under "Options" tab I select "Advanced Options".  In Advanced Options under
"Auxiliary Coil / fan control methods" I set the Auxiliary heating coil to
Wall Convertor. (This will simulate the radiant heaters.)

Under the "Fans" tab I set the Auxiliary fan type to "No fan energy consumed"
since the radiant heater doesn't have a fan.

Under the "Coils" tab I set the Main heating and Preheat coils to 0% and the
Auxiliary heating to 100%. (Since all the heating should be done by the
radiant heaters.)

I created one such system for each stairwell and vestibule.  (I do not want
anything to be common between them)

In the "Assign Systems to Plants" I assigned the heating coils to the boiler
(The actual radiant heaters will be fed from the boiler)

I made an Air cooled Unitary plant and added the main cooling coils to it.
(This will give me a value to compare to the baseline)

Since LEED insists that I make up numbers, I was wondering if this sounds
like a valid way to make a pretend system.

John Eurek

P.S. I never did get anybody to offer a Trace file used for LEED so I could
look at an example of what others have done.