[Trace-users] Split System with DOAS for LEED (UNCLASSIFIED)

Bob Fassbender bob at energy-models.com
Fri Feb 4 12:35:58 PST 2011

John/Other Bob-

Yes, I see where the confusion comes in. Sorry about that. I was answering
Robert's question, which I interpreted as, "should I model as 1 system -
with no DOA?" or "1 system with 1 cooling coil only".

*To clarify, it should be modeled as 1 system + 1 dedicated OA
system/unit*(which many people refer to as two systems, but TRACE does
not! Thus, the
confusion). Anyway, I hope that clarifies what I meant. The method that John
suggested (of two actual systems in TRACE, is a possibility I suppose - this
is what many eQUEST users do).

However, you really should take advantage of TRACE's ability to model DOA,
which is a feature that other programs don't have.

Regarding John's question

Yes, TRACE will know where to recover energy. If you have a fan coil system,
and specified DOA, plus energy recovery:

Model the DOA, as mentioned earlier
Then, add the energy recovery.
It is critical that you specify the deck locations (that way TRACE will know
that it affects the DOA unit, and not the FCU).
Specify the decks, as ventilation deck and exhaust side deck and VOILA!

TRACE understands that the ventilation deck goes to the DOA, and is also
pre-conditioned by the exhaust air.

Please let me know if there is other confusion.

Bob Fassbender