[Trace-users] Energy Breakdown

John Eurek redmodeler at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 29 08:27:05 PDT 2011

I have my 8760 energy model complete.  What I want to make is a pie chart so I can tell the customer.
x% of the total energy is due to the skin load
x% of the total energy comes from conditioning the outside air,
x% of the total energy is due to the servers.

Heck, even as I right this I'm not exactly sure what I want.  When I consider the energy due to the servers, do I count just energy to run the servers or the energy to run the servers and the energy to cool the servers?

The method I plan to persue until somebody has a better suggestion is to run a lot of models.
1.  I can remove all the people and equipment, leaving only the skin load.
2.  I can set the outside air requirements to zero cfm, this would help me find the energy used to condition outside air
3.  I could removed all the servers, this would help me find the energy used to run the servers and cool the servers.

This seems to be the simplest, but with all the interdependancies, I'm guessing that math may not work out.
(Example, thought experiment, didn't actually try it.)
Model A is a complete model.
Model B is Model A minus all the walls and roofs.
Model C is Model A minus everthing but the walls and roofs.

Would Model B + Model C = Model A  (I wouldn't think so becase fan curves and pump curves are not linear.)

Has anyone done a report like this?  What has worked.

(One thing I want to get across to the owner is that the servers are so large that it takes x%.  And that orientation doesn't matter because the skin load is x%.)

I did rotate the building and found that there is only 0.5% difference because the internal loads are so high.  He insisted that the orientaion matters.  I told that if the building was emtpy it would matter, but at this point it is like turning down the radio to get better gas milage in a car.