[Trace-users] Baseline equipment modulation control

Scott Parker sparker at aeieng.com
Wed Aug 12 10:11:15 PDT 2015

Almost all boilers modulate to prevent overheating.  There is some minimum turndown and at that point the boiler would cycle.  Fuel use of a boiler is generally linear if you exclude jacket losses  radiated off the boiler.

Fuel use of a boiler that cycles at 50% load for 20% time (0.5 x 0.2 = 10%) =  Fuel use of boiler that runs continuously at 10% load.

Even if Trace is “wrong” the result is the same.  One item to check is “Miscellaneous Accessories” for the boiler which may be constant energy use when boiler is running (e.g. make-up water pump, combustion fan, controls, fuel oil pump, etc).  Compare these in the baseline and proposed since they may create an artificial benefit or penalty to heating plant energy use.

HW pump modulating versus constant speed riding the pump curve is where you will see part load energy savings on the heating system.  For LEED (90.1-2007), the baseline HW pump must have a variable speed drive if building is 120,000 SF or more.

Regards,
Scott