[TRNSYS-users] Convergence problems when mass flow drops to zero ??

Santeri Siren santeri.siren1 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 07:24:37 PDT 2012

Dear Trnsys users,

I am simulating a large combined cooling/heating system witch includes
multiple heating and cooling loads, storage tanks, chillers and heat pumps.
The system works fine exept for certain situations.

I am trying to conrol a source side and a load side pump of a heat pump in
a following way: When a storage tank (source side) temperature is lower
than 0 C, the pumps stop. When the storage tank temperature is higher than
0 C, the pumps are controlled by a Type2 aquastat. Problems occur when the
storage tank temperature drops lower than 0 C. In this case the pumps stop
(so the control function is fine), but the simulation starts to get real
slow and it takes a very long time for TRNSYS to calculate even a few hours
of simulation time in this situation. Also convergation errors start to
appear.

Could it be possible that TRNSYS has problems to solve the equations
numerically when the pumps stop and the mass flows drop suddendly to zero?
I have had similiar problems seweral times in other situations when a large
mass flow drops suddendly to zero in a large system...

Does anyone know how to get rid of this problem so that TRNSYS could handle
this kind of situations?

best regards,

Santeri Siren