[TRNSYS-users] Problem with pipe pressure loss component Type586b

Robert Burzynski rbt.burzynski at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 16:18:20 PDT 2012

Hi

I am trying to model a pressure drop in a small district heating network.
For this purpose I use Type586b (Utility TESS library) component.
Unfortunately, I could not find any more detailed description of this
component in any documentation.
First question therefore is what friction factor has been used in the
pressure loss formula.
Additional problem is with inconsistency of basic modelling results.
The problem is that if the pipe is divided into several segments, even if
the segments are identical with the same flow rates and water temperatures,
the pressure drops modelled by TRNSYS very significantly. However, for
example a reported pressure on one section could be 5730, other section
0.5730 and on another even 5.7559E-15.
Does anyone have any experience with this component?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Robert Burzynski