[TRNSYS-users] Ground heat exchanger (Type 997 and 557) soil temperature data interpretation and visualization

Amir Rezaeibazkiaei ar92 at buffalo.edu
Thu Oct 18 17:46:21 PDT 2012

Dear TRNSYS users and support team,

I am interested in analyzing the soil temperature outputs from both
horizontal and vertical ground heat exchangers.

I was wondering if someone could make comments about how to interpret
and/or visualize the external soil temperature data from Type 997 and 557?
There does not seem to be an example or tutorial available on how to
interpret the output soil temperature data from these components. I opened
the output files but the format is not easy to follow or well explained.
The numbers seem to be the soil temperature values at some "vertical layer
#s" that are not well documented I think, or I am not able to find the
right documents.

All I was able to find online was the attached TESSLibs17_General
description file that does not even show up in the current Version 17
installation directory after installation! I assume that this is an old
manual that is being revised because the "A3-TESSLibs" document has no
information and says that the document has not been releases yet due to
early release of TRNSYS 17.

Moreover, there is no example or manual on how to use the tool
"GroundTemperatureViewer" in TRNSYS directory. I tried to open the *.soil
file with it but it says "vertical separator #1 is incorrectly formatted"!
I am not even sure this tool is appropriate for viewing the soil file
generated by Type 997 and 557 as the seemingly old attached manual says it
is for "TYPE 1244: MULTIZONE BASEMENT MODEL (INTERFACES WITH TYPE56)".

So basically, I am asking for the right direction on where to read more
about:

1. The output soil temperature file from Type 997 and 557

2. The GroundTemperatureViewer tool

Appreciate your time and input,

--
Amir Rezaei-Bazkiaei

PhD candidate

State University of New York at Buffalo (UB)

204 Jarvis Hall

Office tell: 716-645-4004

"Future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams"

Eleanor Roosevelt