[TRNSYS-users] TRNBUILD radiation matrix generation problem

Muhammad Tauha Ali mali at masdar.ac.ae
Thu Sep 6 04:49:41 PDT 2012

Dear all,

I am modeling a 12 zone building in TRNSYS using TRNSYS3D. When I switch to the detailed radiation mode for the following zones in my building:

1.       Workshop

2.       MP_room

3.       LV_room

TRNBUILD gives me error while generating shading matrices. It says that the zones are not convex or closed volumes. However, all these zones are connected to each other and are normal rectangular cuboid shape with one-two doors in them.

The model runs fine when I use standard radiation models in these zones with the other zones using detailed radiation model. Kindly find the attached zip file containing the following:

1.       Original xx.idf

2.       TRNBUILD generated idf i.e. xx_b17.idf file

3.       TRNBUILD xx.b17 file

4.       TRNBUILD xx.bld file

Can any of you kindly check what am I missing that is causing TRNBUILD to consider these zones as convex or not closed volumes?

Are the doors that are causing problem?

I have already checked that the surfaces have outward pointing normal. Maybe you can check again if I didn't checked it properly. In the original idf, all surfaces have the proper color of what they should be having.

Thanks,
Muhammad Tauha Ali
Research Engineer
[cid:image001.png at 01CD8C45.A4D7CA90]

PO Box 54224, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Mobile +971 50 109 4222
Direct +971 2 810 9151