[TRNSYS-users] Does TRNSYS take Solar Radiation on the building into consideration?!!

Amr Alaa amr.alaaeldin at polimi.it
Wed Aug 21 09:07:50 PDT 2013

Hello everyone,

I'm a beginner in using TRNSYS 16 and I had a situation in the simulations,
which I'd like to ask about.

I'm doing temperature and energy balance analysis for a very simple
building (you'll find it attached). Focusing on Room No. 01.
The outputs I'd like to ask about are the Air Temperature (TAIR), Operative
Temperature (TOP) and Internal Surface Temperature (TSI).

The building has the longer sides perpendicular on the North-South Axis.

I used a fixed window, and I want to know the impact of the change in its
position on the internal air temperature.

My question is:
- When I put the window in the South OR in the North facade, I get the
exact same TAIR, TOP and TSI!!!
- When I check the TSI for the north wall and for the south wall, they are
also exactly the same.
How is this possible? If the sun has more direct sunlight on the south
facade, I expected to have a higher temperature (at least during the
summer), but they were exactly the same.
- When the window is placed on the east it changes a little bit (a
neglected difference!), then again, East or West window positions have the
exact same results.

It seems to me that there's something missing in my simulation that would
give me this result... Can you please help me with my request?

I'm simulating in a North European Climate (Poland) and in the North and
South of Italy. I'm attaching a scanned image of the Simulation Studio
scheme I'm using.

Thank you very much,
All the best,
Amr Alaaeldin Elesawy