[TRNSYS-users] External file and characters

Philip Horn philip.horn at ise.fraunhofer.de
Mon Jul 29 01:32:45 PDT 2013

Dear All,

I searched previous postings regarding the external file handling, but
could not find enough information.

All external files I've seen so far consist of an arbitrary amount of
comment lines (indicated with an "*") and some TAB-separated numerical
values.

My question:

Is it possible to read in characters as well?

I would like to read in something like this:

	GARWIH_Tcout(1, 1)	=	4.48638
	GARWIH_Tcout(2, 1)	=	-1.00294
	GARWIH_Tcout(3, 1)	=	0.20914
	GARWIH_Tcout(4, 1)	=	-2.36728
	GARWIH_Tcout(5, 1)	=	2.42915
	GARWIH_Tcout(6, 1)	=	-2.3596
	GARWIH_Tcout(7, 1)	=	-0.33344
	GARWIH_Tcout(8, 1)	=	1.30703
	GARWIH_Tcout(1, 2)	=	0.047
	GARWIH_Tcout(2, 2)	=	-2.22745
	GARWIH_Tcout(3, 2)	=	-0.5901
	GARWIH_Tcout(4, 2)	=	-2.03408
	GARWIH_Tcout(5, 2)	=	-0.34727
	GARWIH_Tcout(6, 2)	=	-0.44872
	GARWIH_Tcout(7, 2)	=	0.36808
	GARWIH_Tcout(8, 2)	=	0.3456

The dimensions (in this case 8x2) and thus the number of lines in the
external file should be flexible, i.e. TRNSYS should automatically read
in the whole file until the last line.
The data should then be available throughout the whole simulation.
Can this be done with an external file?

I guess probably not :(
Any recommendation how to cope with that problem instead?
May be design a loop to access the numerical values and link them to the
character.
In order to make the values accessible during the whole simulation I
would need to store them (stored variables), right?

I would be very happy if you could share your thoughts!!

Best,
Philip

--
M.Sc.,Dipl. Ing (FH) Philip Horn