[TRNSYS-users] Parameter identification.

Enriquez Miranda, Ricardo ricardo.enriquez at ciemat.es
Thu Jun 27 03:10:02 PDT 2013

Hello TRNSYS World, hello Didier.

I have one more cent to add to this huge topic.

The technique you should use for Parameter identification will depend on your final objective (model validation, model calibration, model order reduction, assessment, forecasting ...). I agree with David and Angel. Keep things as simple as possible, but no more. In a general basis I would recommend you the following steps:

1. Sensitivity analysis. This will show you in a quantitative manner the minimal set of active parameters of the model (Those which explain the variance of the model output).

2. Solve correlations. Take care of those active parameters which are correlated. That is a limitation of the method unless you take action. If you are at the experimental design phase move to a multioutput framework, it will solve if you are dealing with a building.

3. Choose a parameter estimation algorithm. For dealing with a single objective problem I use Differential Evolution, which is pretty fast (http://www1.icsi.berkeley.edu/~storn/code.html). If you solve correlations in the multioutput way, you should move to a multiobjective framework, most probably dealing with a multidimensional Pareto Front characterisation (ask me personally).

4. Uncertainty assessment. You should also assess your model and experimental uncertainty. There is a ISO guide from 1995 to the experimental. You can assess your model uncertainty from a Montecarlo Analysis, for example. This is important in two ways: if your model uncertainty is bigger than the experimental one you should redesign your experiment. On the other hand, any model whose outputs are within the experimental uncertainty are physically indistinguible with that experiment.

5. Residual analysis. If your error is greater than the uncertainty you cannot consider the model valid. To improve it you can perform residual analysis together with a parameter space analysis technique, for example.

6. Choose your software. Input files are plain text written in some descriptive language with a predetermined format. You can manage simulations in many ways. I started managing with GenOpt, then move to Matlab and right now in Python, since I'm more comfortable with my own scripts. The important issue here is: think carefully what will you need for your study and then move to the tool. Python is quite flexible for doing this tasks. Don't be afraid to make your own code, you will have a lot of fun.

You can download a paper for free with some of this studies applied to a Spanish Building:

Enríquez et al., Energy Procedia, Volume 30, 2012, Pages 580-589 (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1876610212015846)

As a general issue there is right now an ongoing IEA-EBC (former IEA-ECBCS) Annex, number 58, which deals with parameter identification in buildings and related problems.  I'm  a participant in that Annex, so don't hesitate to contact me for further information.

Hope it helps,

Sunny Regards from Spain,

Ricardo.