[TRNSYS-users] error running TRNOPT

raichlebw at appstate.edu raichlebw at appstate.edu
Sun Sep 15 09:44:03 PDT 2013

Hello All,
I'm having difficulty running TRNOPT - error message shown below.  Here's where
I am:
TRNSYS ver. 17.01.0025
TRNOPT ver. 17.1.03 (the .log file doesn't say which DLL is linked to as
suggested in previous threads, but this is the only release on my computer)
GenOpt ver 3.1.0

The TRNOPT example runs fine with my installation.  My simulation runs with
TRNSYS. I have the optimization variable in an equation. TRNOPT parameters are
filled out paralleling the example.

There must be some problem with my .dck file???

On a separate note,  I'm interested in optimizing a variable rather than a
parameter as is done in the example. Currently I'm trying to optimize a
parameter to eliminate this as a potential problem. Can variables be optimized?

Any thoughts on what causes this error will be appreciated. Thanks.

Brian Raichle

GenOpt Copyright (c) 1998-2011, The Regents of the
University of California, through Lawrence Berkeley
National Laboratory (subject to receipt of any
required approvals from the U.S. Dept. of Energy).
All rights reserved.

The development of GenOpt is supported by
the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE),
the Swiss Academy of Engineering Sciences (SATW),
the Swiss National Energy Fund (NEFF), and
the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF).

Configuration file : C:\Trnsys17\Optimization\GenOpt\Simulation\Trnsys17.ini
Command file       : C:\Trnsys17\Optimization\GenOpt\Simulation\Command.txt

Optimization started  at : Sun Sep 15 12:03:40 EDT 2013
Optimization finished at : Sun Sep 15 12:03:41 EDT 2013
Execution time           :            00:00:01

Optimization terminated with error.

Error message:
**************
java.lang.Exception:

Exception in executing the simulation program

Simulation working directory :
'C:\Trnsys17\Optimization\GenOpt\Simulation\tmp-genopt-run-1'
Command string               : 'C:\Trnsys17\Exe\TRNExe.exe
"C:\Trnsys17\Optimization\GenOpt\Simulation\tmp-genopt-run-1\GenoptInputFile.DCK" /n
/WAIT '
Exception message:

Error in executing the simulation program
Exit value of the simulation program: 1
Working directory                   :
'C:\Trnsys17\Optimization\GenOpt\Simulation\tmp-genopt-run-1'.
Current command String              : 'C:\Trnsys17\Exe\TRNExe.exe
"C:\Trnsys17\Optimization\GenOpt\Simulation\tmp-genopt-run-1\GenoptInputFile.DCK" /n
/WAIT '.
Error stream of simulation program  : Simulation program did not return an error
stream.

GenOpt terminated with error.

Brian W. Raichle
Dept of Technology & Environmental Design
Appalachian State University
Ph: 828.262.2949