[TRNSYS-users] Cooling tower (type 51b) controlling

Shahen Fakhraldin shahinrkl_7 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 19 06:43:51 PDT 2014

Dear TRNSYS users,

I am trying to control a cooling tower of absorption chiller by using a three-way valve (type 11f) to mix between the returned water from the chiller and the water coming from the cooling tower (type 51b).

I assumed the range of temperature of mixing 28 - 33 C (over 33 C the flow completely will be through the cooling tower), and I am using (W-interpreter) to produce the mixer (diverter) signal.

I am getting strange results where the inlet mass to the chiller (that comes from the cooling tower subsystem) is not equal to the inlet mass of the cooling tower subsystem (that comes from the chiller), even these mass rates exceeded the rated flow rate of the pump of cooling tower subsystem (type 114). Whereas if the diverter signal is fixed (from 0 to 1.0) I do not face this error

Did anyone try controlling a cooling tower in TRNSYS?

All kinds of help are very much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Shahen