[TRNSYS-users] TRNSYS christmas riddle

marcello.caciolo at cofelyaxima-gdfsuez.com marcello.caciolo at cofelyaxima-gdfsuez.com
Tue Dec 23 06:55:38 PST 2014

Dear TRNSYS users,

Christmas approaches, and we found an amazing issue concerning TRNSYS equations that we would like to share with you.

A day, we created a new equation in TRNSYS, taping (by error) the following expression :

new = max(12),7

you could think that TRNSYS reports an error...but you are wrong : the result was 12 (try to plot it !)

We was just thinking that TRNSYS is so smart that it corrects our error, when we had a doubt. We tried to change the expression in :

new = (max(12),7)

and in this case, TRNSYS crashed giving us a horrible statement : "forrtl : severe (408): fort: (3) : Subscript #1 of the array STACK has value 0 which is less than the lower bound of 1"...

But variety is the spice of live, than we tried another expression again :

new = 0*(max(12),7)

You can imagine how we were surprised when TRNSYS plotted a constant value of...84 !!!

Definitely, we decided to write a letter to Santa Claus to help us to solve this riddle...

Merry Christmas to the TRNSYS group!
Marcello Caciolo
Responsable Outils et Méthodes d'Analyse Energétique
[cid:image001.jpg at 01D01EC5.77F219D0]

Cellule Efficacité Energétique et Environnementale - Pôle Projets et Réalisations
46 Boulevard de la Prairie au Duc
BP 40119 - 44201 Nantes Cedex 02
Tél.: +33 02 40 41 06 57
marcello.caciolo at cofelyaxima-gdfsuez.com<mailto:prenom.nom at aximaseitha-gdfsuez.com>
P Pensez à l'environnement avant d'imprimer ce message