[TRNSYS-users] Cooling and solar heat gains

hotline hotline at Transsolar.com
Wed Jul 16 06:35:21 PDT 2014

Dear Marcello,

I just had a look into your model. There are actually two main reasons causing the deviation between your
manual calculation and the TRNSYS Simulation.

1.       You haven't set geosurf (beam radiation distribution factor) values, the shortwave radiation is then distributed area weighted

to the surfaces, and consequently also to the windows. Therefore a part of the solar radiation leave

the zone depending on the transmissivity of the window.

So if you set the geosurf value of the floor to one, all the short wave radiation will hit the floor.

2.       If you do so, there is still a large deviation because of the imperfect absorption of the radiation on

the floor. To solve this, set the absorption coefficients of the floor to 1 and apply a good insulation.

3.       There will be still a deviation of around 10 % caused by heat losses through the windows and walls.

Best

Jochen Lam
TRNSYS Software Team

Transsolar Energietechnik GmbH