[TRNSYS-users] Question about H2 electrolyzer Type 160

SUNLIANG CAO caosunliang at msn.com
Thu Nov 20 05:36:49 PST 2014

Dear all,

I have a question about the H2 electrolyzer model Type160. Shortly: Will the Faraday loss of the
electrolyzer be converted into heat in the electrolyzer?

In the electrolyzer model (Type 160 written by Ulleberg) [1], there are three
efficiencies: eta_e, eta_F, and eta_tot:

“eta_e” is the energy efficiency of
electrolyzer without considering any Faraday loss, i.e. the maximum theoretical
proportion of the electricity which can be covered to the hydrogen energy
content.

“eta_F” is the Faraday efficiency: it is
the ratio of the real final produced H2 energy content to the theoretical maximum
produced H2 energy content.

“eta_tot” is the total efficiency of the
electrolyzer: it is equal to “eta_e*eta_F”, and thus is the ratio of the final
produced H2 energy content to the electricity consumed in the electrolyzer.

In Ullerberg’s model [1] (TRNSYS Type 160),
the heating generated by the electrolyzer is calculated by the P_ely*(1-eta_e),
which hasn’t taken the Faraday loss into account. However, according to the
energy balance, the Faraday loss must be somewhere, which mostly in the form of
heat, so I doubt why the Faraday loss hasn’t been taken into account in the
thermal part of the electrolyzer model.

Reference [1]: Øystein Ulleberg, Modeling
of advanced alkaline electrolyzers: a system simulation approach, International
Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Volume 28, Issue 1, January 2003, Pages 21-33. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0360319902000332#

Thank you very much.

Kind Regards,

Sunliang Cao